NHS social media campaign aims to reduce new diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in men aged over 40 | Diabetes Research & Wellness Foundation Skip to main content
Donate

Every penny really does count.

DONATE

You are here

NHS social media campaign aims to reduce new diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in men aged over 40

NHS social media campaign aims to reduce new diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in men aged over 40

Targeted advertisements will attempt to encourage healthier lifestyles to prevent the condition developing.

Published: May 12, 2021
Category: Looking after yourself
Share:

The NHS has announced they are using social media to reach millions of men aged over 40 who could be at risk of developing type 2 diabetes, to help them to change their lifestyle and avoid the condition.

The adverts, to appear on social media platform Facebook, will highlight the increased risk among white men of this age group and encourage them to sign up for support from the Healthier You NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme.

Latest research has shown that men over 40 are particularly at risk of developing type 2 diabetes and this risk increases with age.

The diabetes prevention programme, which supports those who are at risk of developing the condition to lose weight and adopt healthier lifestyle habits including exercise, has already helped hundreds of thousands of people.

There are now 200,000 places available every year through the NHS Long Term Plan.

The NHS will post a series of sponsored Facebook ads over the next three weeks which will allow users to click through to a quiz by Diabetes UK.

If their score is moderate or high they can refer themselves to a local service for support remotely or online, without having to go through a healthcare professional.

The NHS has fast-tracked access to the Healthier You programme after research found that people are twice as likely to die from Covid-19 if they have type 2 diabetes

The new drive follows a successful national campaign in August last year which targeted Black and South Asian communities who are more at risk of type 2 diabetes from the age of 25.

Professor Jonathan Valabhji, National Clinical Director for Diabetes and Obesity for the NHS in England, said: “The evidence is clear – obesity and type 2 diabetes significantly increase the risk that many of us face from Covid-19.

“And we already knew that for men over 40 in particular, the risk of type 2 diabetes steadily increases with age so it is crucial people in this group check their risk and get the right support.

“As we start to see signs of normal life returning, there has never been a better time to start living a healthier lifestyle and we want to support even more people to do this. If you think you are at risk, check your risk online – it is free and it could be life changing.”

More than 750,000 people have been referred and those completing the programme who were overweight or obese lost on average 3.6kg.

Public health minister Jo Churchill said: “We want to be a healthier nation and obesity is one of our biggest health challenges – Covid-19 has shown us it is vital we act now.  This initiative between the NHS and Diabetes UK is designed to support people, particularly 40-year-old men, on how to avoid type 2 diabetes. Now is a great time to check your risk and do something about it.

“The government has recently announced £100 million to support people achieve and maintain a healthier weight, and this is another initiative to help. By working together, we can achieve our healthy weight strategy goals and halve the number of children living with obesity by 2030, protecting people and the NHS for a brighter future.”

John Harrison, 53, from Burton Joyce, Nottinghamshire, who lost 55kg through the programme, said: “I was determined that lockdown wouldn’t stop me from getting healthier. I got great support through video sessions and was able to drop from 127kg in 2019 to 72kg in just 14 months.

“The virtual get-togethers were really useful – the online contact enabled me to ask questions and keep my momentum going. My health coach was also so knowledgeable and gave me an awful lot to think about but deciding on which changes to introduce is down to the individual. After all, you are the best person to make those decisions about your own lifestyle.

“Now I am 72kg, my quality of life has really improved and these days I can do so much more without feeling exhausted. I can buy and wear fashionable clothes including skinny jeans.”

John made changes that included reducing his fat intake, cutting down on his red meat-based meals and increasing the amount of chicken and pulses in his diet. He also started a new exercise regime and now regularly does a fast power walk five times a week.

Find out more about DRWF Research
Support DRWF by making a donation here
Read Lockdown guidance for staying home and safe for people living with diabetes during Covid-19 pandemic
Read How people with diabetes could become more ill if diagnosed with Covid-19

DRWF operations during the Covid-19 health crisis

The DRWF team is working remotely. Covid-19 guidance, particularly where it aligns or impacts with diabetes guidance, is shared as quickly as possible through the DRWF website and social media channels with the aim of making it as easy to understand as possible and a reliable source of latest news.

For latest update follow DRWF on FacebookInstagram and Twitter
To receive the charity’s latest bulletins as they become available, please sign up here
Subscribe to Diabetes Wellness News here
Category: Looking after yourself
Share:
×

Share this